Monday, December 3, 2007

The shoot's done...until May!

I'm quite happy with the shoot this weekend. I did manage to get some knitting done on them. The rooms we shot in were so small that I had no choice but to sit in the next room while the camera was rolling, so the sound guy couldn't pick up the sound of my needles. I got a few Christmas presents done. I'll post those up very soon. For now, here are a few pictures of the actual film.

Friday started off as a cold snowy night and regrettably the DOP and I had decided that we would love to shoot the whole diner scene from the outside. It looked nice but it was freezing! In this scene, the couple is really not getting along. They're having a very passive aggressive conversation over pogs and hamburgers. We thought that it would be nice to have the seperation of the glass between the audience and characters. The snow was falling and we caught some beautiful light reflections from cars on the windows.
Last year, my grandmother was throwing out a paint-by-number painting that my grandfather had made in the '70s. It's a boat caught in a storm, pretty ugly. I grabbed it (just in case) I've managed to put it on a few sets that are too bland. This set specifically was lacking a bit of colour, so I threw it in. Try to catch it in the photos.

The next location was a very small bathroom that could barely fit the actor and the camera. But I really loved the tiling in the washroom.

I did manage to get some knitting done on this one!

The last day was in the male charcter's kitchen. The time of day is supposed to be late at night, but the DOP placed these very white diffused lights in the windows. I'm not sure what that will look like on screen.

The hardest part about shooting in a kitchen/living room is the fact that people sit on the couch and move all the pillows around or eat the fruit that I bought as props to sit on the counter in his kitchen. People are too comfortable in these settings.

It's all over for now. We'll see what happens with the rest of the shoot in May. It might not show, but it's a hard job. There's so much preperation before the shoot. Then the actual day of, you're there before anyone because they can't work until you're done setting up. You're always last to leave because you can't start taking your set down until after the lights come down (making my days add up between 10 -16 hour days). Also, I end up cleaning the mess left behind by the crew. When we're shooting in people's homes, sometimes the rest of the crew goes to hang out in different rooms, they move things, read their books, sleep on their beds and leave their garbage everywhere. I'm always the one who has to meet with the homeowners and negotiate the use of their places. So when I leave, I need to clean everything and try to remember if things were moved by us or them, and make beds (really not something in my job description). I always have people phonening me weeks later asking me where their remote control went or who broke a vase. It's really not very respectful of people, but I'm too busy to be the one to manage that while I'm on set.

I wish that I could just get paid to knit and watch films all day. There has to be a job that falls under that description.

No comments: